I'm at Christine's watching the kids for them this weekend and we played outside a little yesterday.
The kids played in the snow for a while and I chipped away at the ice on the driveway. The kids decided to help me, but I think they all were more interested in the puddle of water next to the ice than cleaning off the driveway. What is it about a puddle of water that attracts kids, no matter what the temperature outside? I wanted to take a walk and when everyone couldn't decided if they wanted to go with me or not, I said whoever stays behind has to put all the shovels and toys away. Hmmmm...........they all decided to walk with me. Daniel stopped off to take care of the neighbor's dog on the way back so he wasn't in the picture above.
Before we went outside, after lunch, the 3 youngest kids got a little exercise. They run the loop from the kitchen, through the dining room, foyer and living room. They all ran so much that they were all sweating and peeling off clothes.
This winter, even with all the complaining, is actually a normal winter. And really, we never experience spring weather at the beginning of spring. We're usually lucky to not have snow on Easter. Last year at this time we had middle-of-the-summer weather in March which devastated the fruit crops around here. We'll take "normal" this year so the fruit growers can get back on their feet. But everyone I have spoken to is ready for the snow to be gone and are looking forward to spring. Christine has a lot more snow here than I do at my house. When I am in her driveway and looking out over her yard, the height of the snow in her yard is as high as the top of the hood of my car.
One day I was thinking of all the things I appreciate about winter: warm sweaters, a furnace that works, warm socks to keep my feet warm, down comforter and wool afghan on my bed. I guess warm is the theme here. I love snow that sticks to every branch and twig so the world is white and fluffy.
I love a helpful little girl who learned how fun it is to "shobel" this year at Christine's one day. She is actually getting pretty good at cleaning off the sidewalk, making a swipe down the middle. But the driveway is still too big and a little intimidating. Still, she thinks she is doing a great job, because I tell her so.
I did a lot of driving this winter and during one of the first snow storms, I totaled my car. So I appreciate dry roads and sidewalks, and slow driving. I'm glad to be rid of slippery roads and sliding on ice.
It took longer than I liked, but I did get a "new" 10 year old car that we love.
I'm looking forward to seeing the sun a little more, although I'm sure we will see our share of rain. Spring flowers and green grass are in my dreams.
No comments:
Post a Comment