Friday, November 2, 2012

Surprise!

I am blessed to have a very special family. I have two sons whom I love unconditionally, and I know they love me as much as a mother should be loved by her sons. I am lucky to have two daughters who are my best friends. We talk all the time and share our day-to-day lives with each other.

A couple of weeks ago, my youngest daughter, who lives in Oceanside, California, got a sitter for the evening and drove to San Diego to attend a book signing with an author that she and I and my oldest daughter follow. This author wrote a memoir about the birth of her Down Syndrome daughter, and the life changing journey she traveled to accept this challenge in life. This author writes a blog several times a week and shares pictures on Instagram. She writes beautifully and from her heart.

This author grew up in Michigan and comes here for visits. She was here this summer and my oldest daughter and I hoped to run into her when she was in Traverse City. We didn't and were pretty disappointed that we didn't.

So when we heard this author was going to be in San Diego, we hoped that my daughter would be able to go there and see the author in person. When I asked her if she was going to the book signing, she said she couldn't get a sitter and was sad she couldn't go. I was sad for her, too.

A few days later, my daughter told me she had mailed me and her sister a package and to look for it. It took 4 days and I finally received my package. She wrote on the back "Call me before you open this." I had just spoken to her, and knew she was running errands at that time. I called her and she told me I could open it. I did and found the book. She prompted me to turn the pages and I found the signature of the author. I was beside myself with excitement. This was sooooooo cool that she got to go to the book signing and she gifted me with an autographed copy of this very special book.

My daughter said she was happy she could finally share with me and her sister the experience of the book signing. She later wrote a blog and included pictures of herself and the author.

My daughter told me this was my Christmas present this year. I laughed and told her it was better to receive it now rather than at Christmas. Because it was truly a surprise!




If you haven't read this book, I recommend it highly. Be sure to have a box of tissues close by, because you won't be able to read it without feeling the emotions the author experiences.

And you will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment